Saturday, May 24, 2008

History Vs. Hollywood and some life sketches

I'm a bit of a history nut, and any kind of visual representation of the many tools used in history makes me so interested. So I was quite excited to come along this little chart of surgical tools from 1829. I can't imagine having wooden gears as joints and surgical anesthetic being something rudimentary as a flask of whiskey and a wooden bit to prevent biting off my own tongue. But it's fascinating to see what man had in substitute of plastics and benzodiazepines.

And speaking of history, History Vs. Hollywood is a great program. I found this forum full of history buffs passionately and competently discussing the inaccuracies of such films as Gladiator and Braveheart. And luckily, these aren't the kind of people that let these discrepancies ruin the movie for them. We have to take into account that Hollywood has and, in all likelihood, will keep dramatize historical stories for the sake of making it interesting and condensing the plot to fit into 80 min-3 hrs.

I apologize for not posting in a while. It's my final quarter at SCAD, and I've got less than a week left! I'll leave some model sketches here, so as to not deprive anyone reading this of new art.

No comments: