Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Back from NY, Part 1.

It's been a little less than a week, and I've finally gotten around to uploading these New York pictures.

New York City was a blast! I'm a small-town hombre and I never thought I'd like big cities. I could only see the large masses of people moving down the sidewalks, cars honking incessantly, and pick-pocketers running off with my wallet.

Such was not the case in NYC. I've never been in such awe of a city before. I was overwhelmed by the large skyscrapers and innumerous glass windows, the smell of fried dough wafting from the street vendors, and the stores crammed as much as possible into one block. I even liked Queens, which apparently is saying something, because it had personality. The first time I walked down into my first dank, dirty subway of New York, I felt right at home. I loved this city already.

To best sum up this trip, I'll provide some photos I took.


This was my hotel room in Hotel 30 30. For being named after its location, it was incredibly difficult to find. It didn't stick out at all, no one knew where it was, and only one of the streets was actually 30th. It was in between Madison and Park Avenues. As you can see, my hotel room was very tiny. Not that I mind, but it's definitely the smallest room I've ever slept in.

This was my friend Elena at the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum. It was an overpriced tourist trap, but we definitely had fun. This was an exhibit that talked about a man who was born without a lower torso. Next to his wax model was a photo op set-up where a mirrored box gave the illusion that you had no legs.
This was some sort of Oriental ship made entirely out of jade. (according to the sign)


The skeleton of a six-legged calf.

The skeleton of a wooly mammoth. I mostly took this picture for bone reference.
First photo of Times Square. I actually didn't like Times Square at all. It was way too glitzy and electric for me. Too much "Hey! Notice me! Buy things! You're in Times Square!" Probably my least favorite place in NY.
Inside Chris Duffy's office. He had a lot of upcoming comics posted on his wall. It's nice to know that, even though the magazine was for kids, the art was great and I had to laugh at the jokes.
View from the conference room in Nickelodeon Magazine.
Our professor/chaperone John Lowe talking with Cliff Chiang. I was amazed that Cliff (and the artists we would later visit) had amazingly clean work spaces. It's amazing how much more professional you look when you have a clean workspace.
More from the streets of NY.Inside the DC Comics waiting room. There was a sample of "kryptonite" in the room.
Here's Superman, who stopped by briefly to talk with us SCAD kids.
On the 3rd floor of DC Comics' building, there was good ol' MAD. Here are some of the original covers posted on the wall.

More pics later.

1 comment:

Lisa Lynn Alexander Williams said...

enjoyed your comments and pics.